5110 Kali Era, Sarvadhari
Vikramarka Era, Sarvadhari
|Diet and Exercise
Watermelons contain an ingredient called citrulline that can trigger production
of a compound that helps relax the body's blood vessels, similar to what
happens when a man takes Viagra, said scientists in Texas, one of the nation's
top producers of the seedless variety.
Found in the flesh and rind of watermelons, citrulline reacts with the body's
enzymes when consumed in large quantities and is changed into arginine, an
amino acid that benefits the heart and the circulatory and immune systems.
The nitric oxide can also help with angina, high blood pressure and other
cardiovascular problems, according to the study, which was paid for by the
U.S. Department of Agriculture. More citrulline -- about 60 percent -- is
found in watermelon rind than in the flesh
“Arginine boosts nitric oxide, which relaxes blood vessels, the same basic
effect that Viagra has, to treat erectile dysfunction and maybe even prevent
it," said Bhimu Patil, a researcher and director of Texas A&M's Fruit
and Vegetable Improvement Center. "Watermelon may not be as organ-specific
as Viagra, but it's a great way to relax blood vessels without any drug side
People with early Alzheimer's disease may be able to preserve their brain
function for a longer period of time by exercising regularly and potentially
reducing the amount of brain volume lost. Evidence shows decreasing brain
volume is tied to poorer cognitive performance, so preserving more brain
volume may translate into better cognitive performance. Mild Alzheimer's
disease patients with higher physical fitness had larger brains compared
to mild Alzheimer's patients with lower physical fitness, according to a
study published in the July 15, 2008, issue of Neurology®.
Doctors in the UK state's health system should not prescribe antibiotics
for most cases of sore throats, colds, bronchitis or other types of respiratory
infections, the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, or
NICE, said. They should also delay writing such prescriptions and reassure
people the drugs are not needed immediately and would make little difference
because most respiratory infections are viral, the new guidelines said.
Obesity may affect men's fertility, according to a new study presented at
the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology meeting in Brussels.
Researchers looked at some 5,000 men in Scotland. They analyzed sperm samples
from the men and categorized them by BMI. They found that obese men had a
60% higher chance having low sperm volume, and a 40% chance of having some
sperm abnormalities. The decrease was seen even after alcohol intake, history
of drug abuse, and age were factored in, the Associated Press reports.
Tomatoes for Alzheimer’s
The humble tomato could be a suitable carrier for an oral vaccine against
Alzheimer’s disease, according to the Korea Research Institute of Bioscience
and Biotechnology (KRIBB) in Korea and Digital Biotech Inc. and the Department
of Biological Science at Wonkwang University. Although the research, published
online in Springer’s journal Biotechnology Letters, is still in the early
stages, it is a promising first step towards finding a plant derived
vaccine against the neurodegenerative disease.
Researchers in Melbourne believe their discovery could be a major breakthrough
in the fight against the disease. The malaria parasite produces a glue-like
substance which makes the cells it infects sticky, so they cannot be flushed
through the body. The researchers have shown removing a protein responsible
for the glue can destroy its stickiness, and undermine the parasite's defence.
The malaria parasite - Plasmodium falciparum - effectively hijacks the red
blood cells it invades, changing their shape and physical properties dramatically.
Among the changes it triggers is the production of the glue-like substance,
which enables the infected cells to stick to the walls of the blood vessels.
This stops them being passed through the spleen, where the parasites would
usually be destroyed by the immune system.
Malaria is preventable and curable, but can be fatal if not treated promptly.
The disease kills more than a million people each year. Many of the victims
are young children in sub-Saharan Africa and India.
|America's Best Vegetarian-Friendly
1. Portland, Oregon
2. Seattle, Washington
3. San Francisco, California
4. New York, New York
5. Atlanta, Georgia
6. Washington, D.C.
7. Minneapolis, Minnesota
8. Austin, Texas
9. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10. Chicago, Illinois
Ingredients: 1 avocado, ripened; 1/2 cup margarine; 1 tsp vanilla; 1 cup
cocoa; 3 cups powdered sugar; 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
In a medium sized saucepan, melt the margarine over low heat. Once
margarine is melted, puree with avocado in food processor or blender until
perfectly smooth. Be sure there are no chunks of avocado left! Return
mixture to saucepan over very low heat and add the rest of the ingredients,
except the walnuts, adding the powdered sugar a portion at a time.
Once all the sugar has been added, the mixture should be thick. Add walnuts
if desired, and transfer to a loaf pan. Refrigerate until firm. Now, be patient!
If you don't let it firm up, you won't be able. http://vegetarian.about.com/od/desertrecipes/r/avofudge.htm?nl=1
Notice: This material contains only general
descriptions and is not a solicitation to sell any
insurance product or security, nor is it intended as
any financial, tax, medical or health care advice. For information
about specific needs or situations, contact your financial,
tax agent or physician.
|Source: The primary
sources cited above,
New York Times (NYT), Washington
Post (WP), Mercury News, Bayarea.com,
Chicago Tribune, USA Today, Intellihealthnews,
Deccan Chronicle (DC), the
Hindu, Hindustan Times, Times
of India, AP, Reuters, AFP, womenfitness.net,