Osmania University (OU) is the oldest University in Andhra Pradesh. This University was established by the order of Nizam Nawab, the king of Nizam State ( Hyderabad State), in October 1918 as a government branch of higher education with Urdu language as the medium of instruction. OU is located in Hyderabad. In 1948, OU became an independent University and the medium of instruction was changed to English.
The first Vice Chancellor of the University was Prof. Moulana Habeeb-ur-Rahman Khan Sherwani. Later, notable Vice Chancellors were: Nawab Aliyavar Jung Bahaddur, Dr. Suribhagawantam, M.S. Doraiswamy, Dr. D.S. Reddy, Dr. P. J. Reddy, Prof. G. R. Reddy, etc.
The jurisdiction of the University is limited to Hyderabad City and districts of Rangareddy , Medak, Nalgonda, Mahaboobnagar, and Nizamabad in Telangana. In addition to various departments like chemistry and physics etc., notable research oriented departments are: Advanced Studies in Astronomy and Astrophysics, Institute of Genetics, Navigational Electronics, Plant Molecular biology, Audio Visual Research, Center for Area Studies, Sanskrit Academy, Urban and Environmental Studies, Advanced Studies in Linguistics etc.
Today, there about 1200 students working in M. Phil and Ph.D., programs in various departments. The main campus located in Adikmet has 15 hostels (dorms) providing facilities for approximately 4500 students. As of 1995, Osmania University is the largest University in the state with more than 300 colleges and centers. Approximately 112,137 students are learning at various colleges and centers of OU.
Picture of Arts College of Osmania University
Back to Universities and
Back to Vepachedu Home Page